Today I’m sharing my recipe for mini lime cheesecakes that all lovers of plants will adore…
If you thought vegans or vegetarians couldn’t have cheesecake, think again! These cashew lime mini ‘cheesecakes’ will have you thinking very differently about vegan desserts. These are made with only a few ingredients and surprisingly mimic real cheesecake.
I was inspired to make these after seeing a key lime pie at the grocery store. Inspiring place, right? I thought, what if I could use limes in a cheesecake-like tart and make it plant-based? Then a lightbulb went off – I could make a cashew and coconut oil base and infuse it with lime juice. Turns out, it worked. 🙂
Typically, the crust for key lime pie or cheesecake is often made from graham cracker-like ingredients. While you can definitely use a graham cracker crust with this filling, I wanted to 1) make a homemade crust and 2) use the remaining pecans and walnuts in my cabinet. Two birds, one stone. 🙂 This crust is much softer than traditional cracker crust, and the medjool dates add a slight sweetness that offsets the acidity of the lime juice. It was also super easy to make in my food processor.
Another great way to make this recipe is to skip the individual cupcake tins and make one big pie. I personally like the ability of grabbing one individual mini cheesecake out of the fridge at a time and not having to deal with cutting the pie, using a plate and knife and fork and then having to clean up. These are great if you just want to grab and go!
Well there you have it. A delicious mid-week dessert that’s easy to make and is healthy. Happy Wednesday!
Did you try making this recipe? If so, hashtag #myplantbasedkitchen on IG or Twitter and I will re-post! I would love to see pictures!
- 1 cup walnuts
- 1 cup pecans
- 8 medjool dates, pitted
- 2 tablespoons vegan butter, melted
- 1 cup cashews, soaked in water overnight and drained
- ½ cup coconut oil, melted
- ⅓ cup maple syrup
- ⅓ cup coconut milk
- juice of 4 small limes
- In a food processor, add walnuts, pecans and pitted dates. Pulse until finely chopped. Add vegan butter and pulse until wet-like crust forms.
- In a blender, combine cashews, coconut oil, maple syrup, coconut milk and lime juice. Blend until all ingredients are well incorporated. Set aside.
- In a cupcake pan, line all 12 cups with tins or cupcake liners and evenly spread the nut crust at the bottom of the liners. Press down firmly so that the crust is level.
- Pour cashew batter into each cup leaving a little room at the top of each liner.
- Chill in fridge for at least 30 to 40 minutes allowing the cashew filling to firm.
- Store in fridge for up to 5 days.