Wow, that title was a mouthful. 🙂 I’ll say it before you do – I know it’s a bit crazy to make brownies with vegetables and legumes….just crazy! But when you have chocolate cravings as much as I do, you need to find ways to make those cravings healthy!
That being said, these brownies are actually so tasty. Surprisingly tasty actually. This recipe makes dense, chewy, fudgy brownies that will satisfy any chocolate craving. I tried numerous times to get this recipe right. Once with only black beans…once with only sweet potatoes. Neither tasted liked this recipe with the combination of both.
I start by pulsing the sweet potatoes and black beans in my food processor until creamy smooth. I wanted to make a base that was somewhat thick to resemble a more fudge-like brownie. I’ll admit, the look of the mixture isn’t that attractive sans chocolate and brownie ingredients. Once you add the other ingredients and fold in chocolate chips, the batter starts to come to life. I like to do a taste-test before the brownies go into the oven just to make sure it tastes like a true chocolate batter.
I like to dust a little confectioners sugar on top of the brownies when they come out of the oven with a mini strainer. It adds just a bit of sweetness to each brownie.
I think most people might question this recipe when the first read this post. To be honest, I was a little hesitant to try the brownies too but once I did, I realized that you couldn’t taste the sweet potatoes or black beans. All you can really taste is the thick fudginess of the raw cacao and sweetness of the chocolate chips. They tasted like normal brownies!
So, feed these brownies to your kids to keep them healthy but don’t tell them what’s in them. 🙂 If they like fudgy, chewy brownies, they’ll never know the difference. 🙂
- 1 small sweet potato, cooked (will only use ¾ cup cooked sweet potatoes)
- ½ cup black beans, cooked
- ¼ cup vegan butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup raw cacao powder
- ½ cup maple syrup
- ½ cup white all-purpose flour
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ cup non-dairy chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon vegan butter for greasing baking pan
- ½ tablespoon confectioners sugar for dusting (optional)
- To cook the sweet potatoes:
- Peel and chop sweet potato and place on baking pan. Cover with tin boil to create an 'oven' and bake at 420 degrees F for 35-40 minutes, or until fork tender. Let cool.
- Reduce oven heat to 350 degrees F.
- Add potatoes and beans to a food processor and pulse until completely smooth.
- Transfer to large bowl.
- Add melted vegan butter, vanilla extract, cacao powder, maple syrup, flour, baking powder and sea salt. Mix thoroughly until all ingredients are incorporated. Fold in chocolate chips and mix.
- Grease a 9x9 baking pan with the vegan butter. Spread batter in pan and bake at 350 degrees F for 40 minutes.
- Cut into 9 squares and dust with confectioners sugar for serving.