You guys…if you have about 30 minutes and the below ingredients, you have yourself a totally easy-breezy, delicious vegan soup. 🙂
I’ve been making quick soups for a couple of years now. Before that, I really didn’t know that you could make most soups with such simple ingredients and such little time. Right now, we are in the midst of trying to get our daughter to eat table foods…well, pureed table foods. For the first 6.5 months of her life, all she wanted was the BOOB. She wanted nothing to do with any spoons, vegetable/fruit purees, etc. Then, my husband found Happy Baby organic teething wafers. And just like that, she loved them and seems to be into this eating thing. Since then, I’ve set up her Stokke high chair (which I totally love btw) and now have her practicing eating her wafers and you guessed it…soups that I’m making. I first gave her this soup and she loved it. I was so surprised! I honestly think she’s digging all of the flavors. I also made a white bean soup and she loved that too (I’ll be sure to post recipe soon 🙂 ).
This is one of my favorite quick soups to make. Broccoli is so, so good for you and even if you’re partial to it, the flavors of the potatoes and onion really enhance the broccoli’s taste. Two things I added to this soup were nutritional yeast and hemp hearts. Why not get some healthy omega 3’s and 6’s?! My favorite brand is Manitoba Hemp Hearts. Don’t forget about Bragg Nutritional Yeast either. It kind of tastes like cheese, but it’s not and it’s a complete protein! You can throw that in someone’s face when they give you crap about vegan and ‘protein’. 🙂
Hope you enjoy this recipe as much as my family and I did!
- 3 russet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 3 heads of broccoli florets, chopped
- ½ small yellow onion
- 2½ tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 3 cups water
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- cracked pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon hemp hearts
- In a medium sized pot, add olive oil over medium to high heat. Add onion and sauté until the onions are fragrant and translucent
- Add vegetable broth, water, potatoes, broccoli, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil allowing the potatoes to become fork-tender, about 10 - 15 minutes.
- Very carefully, add hot soup mixture to blender along with nutritional yeast and hemp hearts (I use a Blendtec) and pulse until combined and smooth
- Add soup back into pot and simmer on low heat for roughly 5 minutes.